top of page
  • Writer's picturekellygrigg

120,000 divorce applications since introduction of ‘no fault’ divorce

Updated: Jul 27, 2023

From 1st January to 31st March 2023, there were 28,865 filings for divorce, including dissolution of civil partnerships, with 76 per cent of the applications coming from individual applicants and the remaining 24 per cent from joint applicants. This figure represents a 5 per cent decrease compared to the same quarter in 2022, during which the previous legislation was in force. Under the new legislation, 18,164 final orders for divorce were issued between January and March 2023. These statistics are part of the most recent family court data released by the Ministry of Justice. The new 'no fault' divorce law, which took effect on 6th April 2022, saw nearly 120,000 couples filing for divorce in its first year.


5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Divorce applications fall by 30%

There were 24,624 applications for divorce or the dissolution of a civil partnership under the new legislation between April and June 2023. This is down 30 per cent from the same period last year when

Comments


bottom of page